There is a massive body of research building on the consequences of stress in the workplace and the benefits of looking after people at work. We’ve boiled it down to the fundamental points for convenience.
Stress and strain in the workplace costs Britain a fortune.
Taking care of your people means all kinds of benefits to your organisation, including the bottom line.
- 131 million days were lost to sickness absence in 2013, of which
- 30.6 million due to Musculoskeletal Disorders (incl. back and neck pain)
- Estimated cost to Britain of £32 Billion (Office of National Statistics)
- Sickness absence estimated at £609 per employee per year in 2014 (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development)
Wellbeing initiatives bring enormous benefits to businesses.
- Treating musculoskeletal disorders, like back pain, within 5 days of onset reduces sickness absence by 40% (The Work Foundation)
- Companies see sickness absence drop by 40-50% (Business In The Community)
- Wellbeing initiatives create return of investment of £31 for every £1 spent (BITC)
The wave of the future for smart organisations is about wellbeing at work.
- Health and wellbeing is a national issue, and prevention is a major goal (The Health and Wellbeing Directorate of Public Health England)
- People with more control over their work are less stressed and more productive (Department of Work and Pensions)
- Supportive employers reduce staff absence (DWP)
How do we do it?
- Prevention is better than cure so we show you ways to prevent stress and strain occurring in the first place
- Being active is good for health and sitting too long isn’t, so we offer ways of integrating movement seamlessly into the working day
- Healthy, happy people are more engaged and more productive so we focus on creating a culture that nurtures wellbeing
- Investing in wellbeing results in all sorts of positive returns, including the bottom line. We find ways of making it simple and sustainable.